Friday, May 25, 2007

What I've learned, so far

Things that I have learned from the empleada (the woman who cooks and cleans):
1. That she doesn't know how to cook
2. She doesn't understand the concept of celsius and fahrenheit.
3. This kinda goes with the number two, cooking something at 200 degrees hotter than you are supposed to (our oven is in celsius and all the recipes call for 350 degrees fahrenheit, but the highest number our oven goes to is 290 degrees- 550 fahrenheit) doesn't actually burn or alter your food as much as you think it would.
4. That no matter how many times you ask her not to fry your fish, she always will.
5. That most people eat dinner really late here, like 8, but she insists on you eating at 4:45 in the afternoon despite having served you lunch at 1:30 or so.
6. She will always go out of her way to close your window shades
7. Mormons are vegetarians (which is completely untrue, but something she believes)

Things that I have learned from being in Peru, and studying abroad:
1. Not being able to speak intelligently (i.e. have actual discussions about things like religions, spirituality, relationships, movies, literature, etc...) is so incredibly frustrating that it makes me care very little about meeting people and trying to make Peruvian friends and almost makes me completely okay with only speaking one language well enough to discuss such subjects with friends.
2. I never want to drive in Peru.
3. Pirated movies play just as well as the real deal and is a great way to build your movie collection.
4. Classes start at least ten to fifteen minutes late and students still show up, thirty minutes, forty five minutes, an hour, an hour and a half late to class.
5. A grade of a 10 (out of 20) is failing, but an 11 (out of 20) is a C- which means I am passing all my classes (and my actual grades won't affect my GPA).
6. I never want a Labrador.
7. I am shocked that so many babies ride around in cars without car seats (it is ubiquitous even among the upper class as well).
8. The food really sucks if you are a vegetarian, but I am very grateful to my family for always trying.

Things I will miss:
1. How much cheaper things are here.
2. All the gelatto!
3. The climate.
4. The proximity of amazing sites.

No comments: