Friday, March 09, 2007

The most uncomfortable beach that I've ever been to

is located in Lima. I still haven't started classes so I had more time to wander around. I had no idea how to get to where I wanted to go so I walked until I found the stree that I wanted and then jumped on the public transportation. So far I love Lima's public transportation and I find it really easy to use. I haven't gotten lost yet, but I always carry around my map and check the street names to make sure I know where I am going. So I was trying to get to this gallery and I jumped off the bus at the corner of the street that the gallery was on because I wasn't sure which way the bus was going to turn. I started walking one way and saw that the numbers were increasing and were at like 1100, but the gallery was 160. So rather take the easy route and just jump on another bus for like 30 cents, I decided to walk the nine blocks to get there. I finally found it and tried to enter but the doors were locked and it looked like the exhibit that I had come to see was taken down! I am pretty sure that it wasn't supposed to end so soon nor was the gallery supposed to be closed. Well on my long walk I saw a bookstore for language books and I needed a Spanish English dictionary because I left mine at home. So that worked out nicely, and then I jumped on another bus to take me Southeast toward the coast. I get off at this beautiful park and quickly realize that this is where all the gringos were. I didn't spend much time there, but I asked one of the security gaurds how do I go down to the beach (playa). Here playa also- or only- means parking lot. So he gave me directions and I followed them and found myself in the parking garage and after taking a few flights of stairs I decided that I wasn't doing to get to the beach from there. so I walked back up and asked how do I get to the sea (mar) and this other guy tells me to walk six blocks and there will be a path. So I follow, find the path and go down. I attached some photos so you guys have an idea of what the coastline looks like.

Oh, about the beach! There isn't any sand, it is only little round rocks and the distance to the water from the sidewalk is like twenty-five feet. I didn't bring a towel so I sat there on the rocks (though I don't think the towel would've helped). I only stayed there for about twenty minutes before taking a stroll down the beach. The rocks hurt too much to walk on without shoes so I went up tot the side walk and walked about five more blocks to the next set of stairs. On the plus side, the weather was nice and the water didn't seem that cold. I also saw this group of catholic students in their very conservative dresses accompanied by three nuns on the beach. I tried to whip out my camera for this picturesque moment, but I could only snap a photo of the students.

P1010005

P1010002

P1010017

P1010018

P1010013

P1010012

P1010010

1 comment:

Jose said...

The beach is beautiful but it hurts! ouch!